Thursday, April 9, 2009

Behavioral Trends with Children

I came across this article in Time Magazine and feel that it applies perfectly to our lecture about Parenting Young Children.

The Article: Kids Who Lack Self-Control More Prone to Obesity Later By: ALICE PARK

This article basically related Children who lack self-control to having problems with obesity later on in life. As obvious as it seems, it is quite interesting to think about. This article states that this idea is not ground breaking, but is changing the way that doctors are dealing with children who struggle with their weight, starting at a young age. They are focusing more on a behavioral intervention opposed to focusing on the food that the children is consuming.

Another reason why I found this article interesting is because I could relate it directly to my own life. My mother had struggled with weight her entire life. I remember an important point that she tried to stress to me when I was younger was how to take just what I needed and not over indulge. Not only applied to food, but if I was painting, she would have me guess how much I needed, instead of pouring the whole tube out. She said that the main reason why she struggled with her weight is because her mom gave her very few limits, especially when it came to food. She was the youngest of 5 children, so when it came time to parent her, her mom was pretty relaxed. She also said that she wasn't concerned with me eating too much, or using the whole tube of paint because she knew it wouldn't be the end of the world. But she was worried that once I got older, and my metabolism wasn't what it is when you're a kid, that I would run into the same problem with over indulging as she did.

No comments: