I should mention that I have never felt like society was discriminating against me just for being a girl. I don't know if it is because my parents are good at being encouraging and empowering, or because we live in the midwest where women (and people in general) tend to be more independent. Part of it is that, at some point, America decided that women were not being treated as equals and set out to rectify the situation. I think that this was a necessary change; unfortunately, in the process, it seems like a lot of anger has been taken out on men, and that doesn't seem fair to me.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
What about boys?
I thought last Thursday's discussion on gender was really good. Something I would have liked to discuss more, though, are the messages society sends about boys. These are not always as obvious as the messages aimed at or about girls that we talked about, but they can be just as important. Specifically, one that comes to mind is, "boys are dumb." It can come in the form of women on sitcoms complaining to each other about how their husbands don't understand anything, commercials showing guys who don't care about anything except beer and sports, or even in t-shirts that say, "boys are dumb."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are so right. Guys in the media are perceived to be dumb and only care about beer and sports. But if you think about it girls in the media are shown to be whinny and always trying to get the guys' attention. Why does popular culture media have such a negative perception of people?! They try to appeal to a gender by degrading the opposite sex. This needs to change.
Post a Comment