Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I thought that Thursday's discussion on structure and function was quite interesting, especially the short discussion about the bill that would encourage pre-marital counseling.  While I agree that forcing people to go to counseling would not be helpful, and I admit that I do not know enough about this specific bill to know if it would be effective or not, I do not agree that it only addresses structure.  Sometimes I feel like people have kind of given up on marriage, in the sense that they expect divorce and see it as a minor obstacle to be dealt with and overcome instead of as a tragedy that we can work to prevent.  I don't want to think like that, either as an individual or as a professional.  If counseling helps people relate better, as it should, then why not encourage it so that people can function better within the structure of marriage?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you! Many people give up on marriage way too easily...well those you expect it to be easy and fun the whole time. Marriage is not easy and it definitely will not be fun the whole time, but in our society with instant gratification people have become selfish. True, you cannot force anyone into therapy and expect it to help. But at the same time I don't see it hindering a couple's relationship either.