Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ethnicity

The lecture on ethnicity, culture, race was very helpful. We think we know everything about the subject or know what to do, how to act, and what to say but in reality when but in reality when the topic arises I learn something different, interesting and important all the time. I am Mexican and when it comes to filling medical history forms or applications it is not hard for me to identify myself like other people that are multiracial. Mr. Hollist had a very good point when he said not to make assumptions or generalize families when working with them. In my opinion, it is very rude and disrespectful when people categorize all Hispanics as Mexicans. Not because people speak Spanish and are color (brown) means that they are from Mexico they can be from Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica or some other country. As Hispanics we share some of the same values, customs, traditions etc, but doesn't mean all Hispanic families are the same, each family is unique and has its own structure and function. For example I have a friend that is from Mexico too, but we are from different states in Mexico. At her house they eat different foods that I had never eaten, they also have traditions and customs that my family have or practice. I never thought of this topic when working with families, we have to be aware that each family has its own heritage and different background.

No comments: