Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Diversity and Race

I thought the topic in class on race and diversity was very interesting. The video really touched me. It is just hard to believe that children could be treated that poorly just because of their race. I think it is totally unfair and shouldn’t be allowed. I really don’t have any family members that come from a different race, but there are a lot of people that do. I am really glad that race isn’t as big of an issue today. It would have been very tough for me to go to a school and have peers treat blacks the way they did. The sad part is racism was happening beyond just the schools. What kind of a lesson is this teaching children? Surely not a good one! I think all people have the privilege to stand for their rights.

It is interesting to see on surveys and things that people are still placed under a certain category. I come from a mostly German background labeling me Caucasian, but a lot of individuals are half and half. I think, in a way, it is kind of racist to ask what background they come from. It shouldn’t matter on a questionnaire if a person is black or white or whatever they may be. In reality, we are all individuals! 

No comments: