Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My life as a "Halfcican"

I really enjoyed today's lecture about diversity and ethnicity. Diversity is something that I have always had as a major part of my life. I myself am half Mexican and a mix of Dutch, German, and probably some Irish. It's always been rather confusing to fill out applications when It comes time to fill out the Race/Ethnicity categories. My family and I have spent countless conversations over the heated debate of what to categorize ourselves as. We as a family have decided as follows; 1) If your filling out a scholarship application or grant application categorize yourself as Hispanic/Latino or other and fill in Mexican, 2) when applying for a job categorize yourself as white. I however do not look like the rest of my family and we have always had a good laugh at the expense of my skin color, my white father is darker then me and my mother and siblings are a nice brown color. I however am the "white boy" of the family, does this mean that we do not have a strong family? Absolutely not, it just means we have a good sense of humor. My White father has adapted my mothers Mexican culture and now our family has many customs that we follow from both sides of the family. I'm a firm believer that a well functioning nuclear family is not based on ethnicity or race.

No comments: