Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Empty Nesting

I agree with the post before mine. My parents were empty nesters after I moved out. I was kind of worried about them because they were really involved in my brothers and my high school activities. It seemed like they would not have anything to do in their free time, besides random projects around the house. Initially they definately enacted a slight homeostasis but eventually they adjusted to the change. As it turns out, they were more than willing to help us move into our new places and get the basic necessities that they knew we needed. We know that they are just a phone call away when we need them, however, they do not constantly call to check on us. I think they feel they have raised us to best of their ability and now it's time for them to move onto bigger and better things. Even though, our interactions and family functions have stayed the same, the only thing that changed is that I no longer live at home (structure). Which is exactly what we talked about would happen to empty nesters, in today's lecture. My parents also have found new hobbys that they do seperately as well as new activities that they do to spend time together. Overall, I would say my parents are a good example of how empty nesters should adjust to a change in family structure.

No comments: