Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Empty Nest

I think the empty nest feeling is very serious for midlife adults, mothers in particular. My mother will be one of them who has a very tough time when my sister leaves. It has already been a big adjustment for her with me out of the house. Even though my sister is a sophomore in high school and lives at home, things just haven’t been the same for my mom. Obviously, every daughter is different so she says it still feels like half of her nest is gone. I know it’s going to be even harder for my mother when my sister leaves. Of course it is very hard to send the first one off, but for my parents anyway, sending the second one off is going to be even harder.

My mom and dad dedicate their whole life to my sister and me. We keep them very busy with different sporting events and activities we are involved in. While I was in high school, pretty much everyday there was something or somewhere my parents went because of us. Without us around, they aren’t going to know what to do.

However, there are some positives to having an empty nest. I think my mom will have more free time, not that she didn’t enjoy dedicating her life to us. She needs to do more for herself, as we have always been her main priority. At times, I think she will enjoy the quiet at home. One thing for her to keep in mind with the empty nest, is that both my sister and me won’t be all that far from home. When my mom begins thinking about this, she reminds herself it is just one of those many stages people experience in their life. I know she will get through it and be just fine.

I am definitely not ready to experience this some day as a mother!!! 

No comments: