Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Impact of media
Advertisements have a big impact on today's society. Last Thursday we discuss in class the impact of media on children, adolescents, college students, parents, etc. We all know that the impact is more crucial in women than men. The advertisement that were showed in class were pretty interesting I had not seen any of those and I guessed wrong on what they were advertising. Thanks to advertisement like those the expectation are higher and the perspectives of genders are changing. They showed that men are more powerful than women, women are prettier if they are thinner, plastic surgery makes you sexier and better, etc. Even though we think we don't put attention to this things we really do and make them important. This has affected me and my family. I do take care of my self, try to eat healthy, exercise, and I still receive remarks from my mom or my sisters of how I look or how I should look. As families we have to be careful of what messages we send to children, parents need to be parents and have the power. As adults parents need to start to act to guide their kids the right way, talk to them about media messages, the importance of feeling good about their personality and loving their body. But they should first see themselves because parents are the role models of their children and kids want to look and be like them. If a child sees that its mom is dieting and talks 24/7 about her image that is how the children are going to be and feel too. As the years past by the rates of eating disorders, dieting, plastic surgery, minds of the perfect body and other negative messages are and will increase. This information about roles and power is very helpful, it will apply to some families and it is very important to know what to say and how to help other.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree completely with you about society, media and parents having such an impact on a childs life. Our media portrays men and women to be a certain way, and that supposidly is the sexy perfect body, when in reality they are full of steroids, silicone, and whatever else of the medias bullshit people will feed into. I think that parents have a huge impact on how their children develop physically and mentally. Especially through how they are acting. If mommy never eats dinner, and tells her daughter she is dieting, (lets say she is already at a good healthy weight), and is getting sickly thin, the daughter in turn will think she needs to be on a diet. I think of the elementary school I work at before and after school for their CLC program. There are 4th and 5th grade girls talking about being on a diet, what the hell?? You should not be dieting at that age. I'm not saying dieting is bad, but it's bad when its done in an unhealthy way, for unhealthy reasons. Parents should tell their children that they are beautiful, and not let the media tell them they are or aren't depending on that months "diet trend".
I agree completely with you about society, media and parents having such an impact on a childs life. Our media portrays men and women to be a certain way, and that supposidly is the sexy perfect body, when in reality they are full of steroids, silicone, and whatever else of the medias bullshit people will feed into. I think that parents have a huge impact on how their children develop physically and mentally. Especially through how they are acting. If mommy never eats dinner, and tells her daughter she is dieting, (lets say she is already at a good healthy weight), and is getting sickly thin, the daughter in turn will think she needs to be on a diet. I think of the elementary school I work at before and after school for their CLC program. There are 4th and 5th grade girls talking about being on a diet, what the hell?? You should not be dieting at that age. I'm not saying dieting is bad, but it's bad when its done in an unhealthy way, for unhealthy reasons. Parents should tell their children that they are beautiful, and not let the media tell them they are or aren't depending on that months "diet trend".
Post a Comment