Thursday, January 29, 2009

I.Q. in Relation to Family Dynamics

I came across this article when I was on the New York Times' website.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/25/us/25sibling.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=family%20dynamics&st=cse

This article deals with the controversy over a new study that has found that the eldest sibling of a family tends to have a higher IQ compared to the younger siblings. They basically explain that there are many family influences that can contribute to this difference. But it eventually shows that:
" two elements are important during childhood: the perceived role a child has in the family; and the apparent benefit a child receives when he or she tutors someone else, like a younger sibling."
It goes on to explain how the older sibling takes a leadership role in teaching his or her younger siblings ideas and tasks that he or she has already learned. However, it does mention that IQ tests only measure a small amount of skills, and should not be relied as a judgment of one's abilities.

I found this article really interesting since I have an older brother. He is in his second year of graduate school for Bio-Systems Engineering here at UNL. As well as he plans on leaving for Helicopter Flight School for the Army in April. He has worked hard, but also has a natural talent for science and math. When I was younger, I always knew that he had done really well in school, and I would always want him to help me with my homework. His work ethic, and determination rubbed off onto me as well. However, I was much more interested in art and designing and chose to work really hard through creativity. Luckily, my parents were supportive of both mine and my brothers strengths and 'areas for growth'. I feel that I initially gained my work ethic through my brother, but developed a long term commitment from my parents support.

I never thought about where I got my determination from before I read this article on IQ. There are a lot of everyday habits that I have developed through my family dynamics as well as my family processes that I never even bother to think about because it has become second nature to me. I like how relatable all the topics in our class, are to our everyday lives. It makes it much easier to remember each theory and concept if I have a personal memory attached to it.

No comments: