Thursday, April 23, 2009

Be Safe!

The proportion of women who are sexually assaulted or otherwise abused at some point over a lifetime shocked me -- 1 in 3 is way more than I would have expected! I usually have the thought that, "It will never happen to me," but that statistic has really made me think twice about things like walking back across campus late at night.
The other part of the problem is that most assaults are carried out by someone known by the victim. This is also really scary, and I hope that it made people think about what kind of people they are hanging out with and what choices they are making to reduce the likelihood that they will be assaulted. I think that this is a really important topic in both professional counseling and in just having friends and watching out for them.

No comments: