Friday, April 3, 2009

Article about Mothering Multiples

We discussed in class how a lot of facts and statistics are focused on the negative things that come along with parenting and deciding to have children.

I found a perfect example of this. I just came across an article about how "mothers who deliver two or more babies are more likely to have developed moderate to severe depression within nine months of giving birth than mothers who have a single baby." This research was a nationally represented survey taken from mothers that gave birth in 2001. It was just interesting how the entire article basically said if you only have more than one kid at once, that you need to be aware of your increased risk for a variety of negative things to happen. However, nothing was mentioned about how having more than one kid at a time can bring that much more joy into your life than just having one child at a time.

Because of statistics like this article, and personally experience with kids, I definitely plan on not having kids, and if I eventually do decide to it will not be until MUCH later in my life.

No comments: