Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Single vs. Committed Relationships

I agree with the two posts previous to mine. I really found today's class especially applicable to my life. I think that our society considers college as a time to "select your mate", so I think the concept of being single or not is extremely relevant not only to me but to almost everyone I interact with on a daily basis. I personally, never had a serious boyfriend until the summer before my sophomore year of college. I really spent high school and the first year of college trying to decide what "type" of guy I wanted to date... At this point in my life, I didn't realize how much I actually was trying to find myself more so than actually finding a boyfriend. After several so called "flings" I decided to give up on trying to find a guy that was worth dating, and spend time on finding myself, through hobbies that I enjoyed and finding things that make me an individual. From this I felt not only, truly happy, but independent and confident for the first time. As a part of "finding myself" I also decided to let guys come and go as it happens, and not have a mission to set out and find a "datable guy." From this new found attitude, I met my current boyfriend of 2 years that I fully plan on being with for the rest of my life. I definitely would not have been able to appreciate what he has brought to my life, had I not discovered what my own life was all about beforehand.

No comments: