Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Contentedness

On Tuesday, we talked about why it is important to "find yourself" before you get into a serious relationship.  I think that it is because if you're not whole, you will be looking for fulfillment and completion from the other person, and they can't give it to you.  My thoughts are that, in addition to being an ineffective way to find wholeness, this approach to dating/relationships is kind of selfish.  I would rather focus on having something to offer in a relationship, and singleness seems like a good time to develop those things.  If I were ever to counsel someone, even a friend, who was having trouble being content with their life situation (single or in a relationship), I think I would ask them what it is about the situation that they desire that they think would fulfill them and why, and what is keeping them from being happy where they are. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. If you are not happy with who you are you will never be happy in a relationship. Everyone knows that famous, uber romantic line from Jerry Maguire, "You complete me." Even if it would make your heart stop to hear a boy confess that to you, in the end it probably won't be the best relationship. It can be very draining for a person whose significant other is trying to find completion and happiness in them. I think it is more important to find someone who COMPLIMENTS you rather than COMPLETES you.