Thursday, January 29, 2009

Attachment

When we were talking about the outcomes of healthy attachment behavior, I really started looking at how all the things we talked about were true. When I think of attachment I usually look at it to be a bad thing, like being attached to your mom and never wanted to leave her side. But, there are positive characterisitcs that come from attachment. I grew up in a family with my parents still married and an older brother. My parents were always there to support me and help me through a lot of tough situations. When I was younger my parents would leave for business trips and I was left with a nanny. I feel like through those times I gained the respect of having my parents around all the time. I always knew my parents were always doing what was right for me. Now that i'm in college I see how everything my parents did for me when i was younger have made me the person I am today. There are times when I can be in any situation and still feel confident about myself and create friendships with the people around me. When I was a senior in high school I traveled to New York City to an Interational Student Council convention all by myself not knowing a single person. I left there with friends from all over the world. Going to the convention was a huge risk I had no idea what I was getting myself into but it was through the support of my parents I decicded to go.That experience helped me become confident in working with people that I didnt even know and create a bond with them in just a short time. This is something that will help me when I become a professional, creating that bond with clients is something that I really look forward to doing. I think that professionaly, knowing about the different ways attachment can affect a child and or an adult is going to help when working with them. If you have an understanding of the past you can help with the future. The past is always something that is going to affect the future and attachment is something that develops over time. If the attachment at the beginning is bad it will be easier to fix if you know what positive attachment looks like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. I really loved pretty much everything that you mentioned in your blog "attachment." I really do think that attachment is often times thought of as a negative thing and something that people don't want to think that they have, but in all reality, attachment is something that is super important and that can really affect you for the rest of your life. If you have that secure attachment, you will grow up to be a more confidant and exploratory person, which is very important. If there is a lack of good attachment, you could wind up very dependent of people and not really knowing how to handle yourself in situations. I think that it is really important to not shuffle healthy attachments to the side. A lot of times when we learn things in class they sometimes tend to seem really unimportant and not relevant to the things in life that are important, but, like the issue of attachment, most of these things really do affect the way that each and every person lives. You just have to take a closer look at them and sometimes apply them to your own life, or the lives of people around you.