Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Communication

The lecture today on communication was another interesting topic in dealing with relationships. Without communication, it is very hard for couples to develop a strong relationship. I have seen through high school classmates and friends that the more long-lasting relationships come from couples who communicate well with each other. This is very important in making a relationship last.

I know this from past experience. My boyfriend and I dated all through high school and we lived 30 miles apart and attended different schools. Most weeks, we only saw each other on the weekends. Without communication, we would have never made it this far. It has been crucial in developing what we have. Through communication over the phone and the internet, we have been able to learn so much about each other. It is also important in finding out how each other is doing or how our day went.

Communication has been important on dates as well. If a couple has a hard time talking face to face to each other, they are going to have a very quite awkward time when they are out for dinner together. Communication is a way to get a conversation rolling and to find out what each other enjoys and doesn’t enjoy.

I have always been considered a great communicator thanks to my parents. I have a mother that talks to every person she knows for at least a half hour making a short trip into Wal-mart a very long one. Without my parents teaching me how important communication is, I would have never developed this important skill. It is also very important for me because I would like to be a counselor or social worker for families and I wouldn’t be successful at this type of career if I had trouble communicating.

Through strong communication, I have got to know a lot more people. If I had trouble with this in college, it would be very hard to get to know anyone. Talking to professors would also not be possible if I couldn’t communicate well. I am very thankful for this because it has helped me to get through some tougher classes I have had.

I really enjoyed talking about communication today because it is such a crucial component in relationships. The discussion made me appreciate the strong communication skills I have. It also showed me ways I can help my friends to make their relationships stronger. If it weren’t for communication I would not have the boyfriend I do today, nor would I have some of the friends I do. Thank you mom and dad! 

No comments: