Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I have never done a Personal Genogram. This is the first time I have been introduced to an assignment like this one. A Genogram is like a family tree but more descriptive and detailed. The purpose of a Personal Genogram is to help us understand our family and others peoples families. This is a good way to find out things you did not know about you family or put the structure and function of the things you know about your family on a piece of paper. My family is very important and valuable to me. I come from a Hispanic culture and Hispanic families are very large so this assignment is going to take me a while. This will be a good time to remember what my family looks like and learn more about it since I going to call mi mom and dad to ask them more details about the family. Even though I don't know everybody in my family it's going to be exiting to learn about them. Another thing about Hispanic families is that they are very conservative, my family is pretty boring compared to some I heard in class. In my family there aren't many divorces, remarriages, adoption, step families or other thing like that.
As a family science major it is very important to know and understand the structure and function of families. From a genogram you may develop ways to help other (help families with their issues) This experience will be very helpful personally and professionally.

No comments: